Guess who's coming home Friday?!
And yes, by Friday I mean TOMORROW! Talk about Good Friday!
We have known since Monday but wanted to keep everyone on a need-to-know basis in case things fell through. On Monday our pediatrician felt confident to take both boys off monitor. Asher had not quite gone the required 5 days without a brady, but Nolan had, and she felt that regardless, Asher had proven himself. The caffeine was thankfully successfully weaned, without any consult with the neurologist, and any recent bradys were "self limiting" - meaning his heart rate was coming back up on its own without any intervention, and the only way anyone knew he was having them was because he was still on the monitor.
So, we quickly began planning our week:
- Monday - final repeat head ultrasound for Asher. Most of the blood is resolved and there are no negative changes. CHECK!
- Tuesday - carseat test. They sit in their carseat for an hour, on monitor, to make sure they don't have an apnea when they are slumped. CHECK!
- Wednesday - rooming in. Mom and dad spend the night with the boys at the hospital (in a room separate from the NICU) to ensure that they know how to take care of their own kids and draw up meds. Tired (Asher is a dream, Nolan is a bit of work!) but CHECK!
- Thursday - rest day. Asher and Nolan get observed one more day and mom and dad finish last minute running around. Happening as we speak.
- Friday - HOMECOMING! Words I didn't think I'd ever type....
It's been a whirlwind week. Exciting, scary, emotional, overwhelming. Saying goodbye to amazing nurses and running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to feel some semblance of organization before our life is turned upside down in a completely different way. Today the original three will enjoy each others' quiet company, and then tomorrow our REAL LIFE as the Trousdell Five begins...