After seeing the physiatrist and getting his CP diagnosis, our pediatrician suggested Asher additionally see a neurologist. We are lucky enough to have a well respected pediatric neurologist in town, so it only made sense. Asher saw her yesterday.
The doctor was great - very kind and knowledgeable, as we expected from all of the wonderful things we've heard about her. We talked at length about Asher's history and she asked a lot of questions about the events surrounding his birth and hospitalization. We also talked in detail about the MRI and when the timing is best. Instead of doing it now, as originally requested from our neuromuscular appointment, she prefers to wait until a child is past 2 years of age because the brain is changing until then. Because Asher is not regressing and losing skills, nor is anything he is doing/not doing a surprise given the injury we know his brain has sustained, there is no reason to rush into the imaging. Nothing the picture tells us will change either his therapy, or his outcome. Part of me wants to just know now because the MRI will let her see exactly what parts of his brain are injured and therefore make a fairly accurate prediction about what parts of him will be affected. But I know it doesn't do us any real good to rush it, when in reality no one knows what our little fighter will be capable of, or what miracles can happen.
So all in all, not much happened other than postponing the MRI until he's 2 1/2 (to get him well past 2 corrected). It was great to meet her and have her involved in Asher's care and we'll see her again in 6-8 months. We feel comforted that every set of the best eyes that need to be looking out for Asher are.
As always, we are thankful for our quality of care. And more importantly, thankful for our amazing baby*.
*You too Rio and Nolan. Obviously.