I was trying to find a way to keep this private, while at the same time say "Nolan's having surgery tomorrow! Everyone please keep him in your thoughts for a safe and successful procedure".
But it's not really possible that people aren't going to ask what the surgery is about, right?
And then I realized I wrote ad nauseum about Asher's two surgeries that could (should?) have been kept private to spare his teenage embarrassment. So I've decided that for Nolan, I will talk in code and if you're smart enough to figure it out good for you, and if you're not, I guess you'll live in the darkness. Here goes.
When we found out we were having boys, one of the first things we discussed was whether or not we were going to do a certain something to them. This certain something has come in and out of medical fashion so to speak. It used to be the norm, then it wasn't, then it was again, and now, in Victoria BC Canada, it is very very much NOT IN FASHION. Yes, we are a liberal, hippy type over here on the west coast, so maybe that contributes because I know that not everyone feels this way about it. But in recent years, "that thing" is just not something you do to your boys in Victoria BC Canada anymore. So much so that there are only a couple of doctors in town that do it (when not medically required), and if you want it done you pay cash and do it after hours.
So our decision was pretty easy: not happening.
But fast forward three years and now it's happening. Not because we've had a sudden change of heart, but because now it needs to be done (I will stop short at sharing the anatomical details of why - if you've figured out what I'm talking about you can do the math yourself). So on Friday, Nolan will have surgery under general anaesthetic and have it taken care of.
Is my heart broken a little bit broken that something we were firmly against and that is going to be incredibly painful (for TWO MONTHS according to the doctor) is now happening to our 3 year old? Yes, very much so. He will be traumatized, I will be traumatized, and I wish the whole ordeal would just go away. But I am not going to refuse treatment when it clearly needs to happen. Because it does. All that said, I don't wish we would have done it as a newborn to spare him the pain now, because how could we have ever known there would be complications.
So with a sad and worried heart I send another one of my sons into surgery for a body part I don't even understand. And you want to know the really crappy part? There's a good chance Ashy's facing the same problem (in fact, based on his first consult with the surgeon, it's pretty much a certainty). Yup, like his poor boy parts haven't been man handled enough by surgeons. And the really, really crappy part? Given Asher's frightening history of metabolizing drugs, we are very possibly preparing for some post-op complications in Nolan. Right. Guess I'll be settling in for a stressful day at the hospital.
So now that you know, please send Nolan some very healthy vibes. He has a cold, but I think at this point he would still be cleared for surgery. If his cough worsens, or he develops a fever between now and then, this will be postponed and I think I might have a heart attack from the stress. We need this surgery to happen tomorrow, without complications!
Wish him luck! (and me sanity).