Today, however, was not one of those days. Today was a good day. A really, really good day. Let me list all of the reasons why:
- Progress was made in securing Asher a new power chair and manual chair in time for school in September. Asher also had a driving lesson today and I cannot believe the progress. He's amazing. Duh, obviously.
- A pretty, fancy (also referred to as 'pretty fancy') commode/shower chair was approved for funding today. That means that going forward (from when we receive it in several weeks) Asher will have a safe, secure, comfortable seat for not only the toilet (sorry Ashy if that's TMI) and the shower. It's awesome. And yes I've come a long way when I can genuinely refer to a bathroom chair as awesome. This is great news because when you're a kid with a physical disability, even going to the bathroom can rack up a bill of $2000. You can see it here if you're interested.
- Through one simple email I have started the conversation with a local municipality about making some recreational accessibility improvements. Turns out that sometimes no one has thought to ask, and in my case, I was the one who asked first. More details to come in a blog post when it's official - for now I don't want to jinx it. But let me just tell you I don't think I have EVER been more proud of myself than I was when they phoned me today. One well written email - an hour of my life - that hopefully positively impacts many people in my community.
- Tomorrow (I know, this didn't happen today, but I'm thinking about it happening tomorrow so that falls under the umbrella of today's great day) Asher and I do a walk through of the elementary school with the principal, at his instigation. The purpose of this walk through is to look at Asher's travel route through the school/schoolground in the fall, and ensure everything is accessible. If it's not, it will be in time for September. How great is that?!
- We're having strawberry-rhubarb crisp for dessert. If that doesn't end things on a high note, I don't know what will.
- And lastly, Asher got a pretty cool package in the mail today. Can you figure out what that might be? Here's a tiny little clue from a photo we just took....
So like I said, a pretty great day, no?!